Home WORLD Detained American journalist appears in Myanmar court | Aung San Suu Kyi News

Detained American journalist appears in Myanmar court | Aung San Suu Kyi News

0

[ad_1]

His employer said that the American journalist Danny Fenster, who was arrested by the Myanmar authorities last month, had appeared in a special court in the prison where he was being held.

However, State Department spokesperson Ned Price said on Thursday that US consular officials were still denied entry to Finster.

The current affairs magazine “Myanmar Border”, the editor-in-chief of Finster, issued a statement saying that he faces charges of incitement and could face three years in prison.

The accusation is often used against dissidents and reporter, Make “any attempt to cause fear, spread false news, or directly or indirectly instigate criminal offences against government employees” as a criminal offence.

The magazine said it did not know the reasons for the allegations.

“We know that Danny did not take any action to prove this allegation,” the Myanmar border said in a statement. “We condemn his detention and demand that he be released immediately and unconditionally.”

On June 1, 2021, soldiers boarded a school bus outside a high school in Yangon, Myanmar.Even after the military suspended thousands of teachers to participate in the civil disobedience movement protesting the military coup, Myanmar’s schools remained open [File: Stringer/EPA-EFE]

“Finally there is some movement, but our frustration is getting bigger and bigger,” Fenster’s brother Brian wrote on Twitter. “There was no formal communication hearing with the U.S. Consulate or our family. Continued detention, unable to obtain legal counsel or official charges against him. Despite repeated requests in the past 25 days, the U.S. Consulate refused to visit Danny and his hearing. .”

The military seized power from the democratically elected government on February 1st in an attempt to revoke the publishing or broadcasting licenses that independent news media must obtain, and Arrested dozens of journalistsSatellite TV is also banned, and Internet services are also restricted.

Another American reporter, Nathan appearance -Price said at a briefing with reporters on Thursday that he was also arrested in Myanmar and returned to the United States after being released earlier this month.

“We are doing everything we can to ensure that Danny Fenster is reunited with his family,” Price said. “Of course, we are very satisfied with Nathan Maung’s release and safe return. He recently returned to the United States and had the opportunity to meet and talk with senior State Department officials.”

Since the coup in February, Myanmar has been in crisis. Generals have been struggling to maintain order amid mass protests against their rule and civil disobedience movements that paralyzed some of the economy.

In Myanmar’s turbulent border areas, decades of conflict with ethnic armed groups have also exacerbated the conflict. ReigniteSome protesters also sought training with armed groups, and the National Unity Government (NUG)-a parallel government of elected politicians overthrown by the general-said in May that it would establish a national People’s Defense Force.

Military regime has Accuse of violence According to the Political Prisoners Aid Association, a human rights organization, more than 6,000 people have been arrested since the coup. Approximately 865 people were killed, although the military indicated that this number was lower.

The United Nations said in Myanmar on Thursday that it was shocked by the recent violent actions, which indicated a “dramatic deterioration of the human rights environment”.

It highlights the discovery of mass graves, and Burning Golden Horse Village Witnesses this week said it was carried out by security forces.

Although most international criticism is directed at the regime, there are also concerns about the actions of the rebels and the recently established rebels. Guerrilla sport.

An ethnic political group fighting the army in the east said it would investigate official media allegations that its troops kidnapped 47 people and killed 25 of them last month.

The state-run Burma Global Shin Kong newspaper and the military-controlled Myawaddy TV station this week showed pictures of 25 corpses in a forest clearing and accused Karen National Defence Organization (KNDO) fighters of committing atrocities.

The KNDO’s political faction, the Karen National Union, stated in a letter on June 16 that its investigation was aimed at finding out the truth.

“The Karen National Union follows the Geneva Convention that does not accept the killing of civilians in armed combat,” it said.

Diplomats said the UN General Assembly is scheduled to call on Friday to stop the flow of weapons to Myanmar and urge the military to respect the November election results and release political prisoners.



[ad_2]

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here