The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Qatar said that after Israel bombed Gaza, the funds will be used for reconstruction.
The foreign ministers of the Gulf countries announced that after the ceasefire ended the worst fighting in years between Israel and Palestinian armed groups along the coast, Qatar has pledged to provide 500 million US dollars for the reconstruction of the besieged Gaza Strip.
Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani said in a tweet on Wednesday: “Qatar has announced that it will provide $500 million to support the reconstruction of Gaza.”
“We will continue to support our brothers in Palestine to reach a just and lasting solution through the establishment of an independent state.”
Qatar often acts as a mediator between Israel and Hamas, the Palestinian organization that has ruled Gaza since 2007. The Gulf countries have provided hundreds of millions of dollars in humanitarian and development assistance to support the previous ceasefire.
The official QNA news agency reported that the funds are intended to help Palestinians in Gaza “face the life challenges brought about by the recent Israeli attacks, and to rebuild service facilities in Gaza…except for the destroyed houses.”
The worst exchange of fire between Israel and Palestinian armed groups in many years began on May 10, after Israeli forces suppressed protesters at the Al-Aqsa Mosque, the third Islamic holy site in Jerusalem, and the Jews also honored it as For the Temple Mount (Temple Mount).
According to the Ministry of Health in Gaza, during the 11 days of fighting, Israeli airstrikes and artillery on Gaza killed 254 Palestinians, including 66 children, and injured more than 1,900.
Medical staff said that due to rockets and other firepower from armed groups in Gaza, at least 12 people were killed in Israel, including two children. About 357 people in Israel were injured in the attack.
Diplomatic efforts are currently underway to consolidate a fragile, Egyptian-style armistice agreement to stop fighting and plan to rebuild the Gaza Strip. Israeli air strikes have caused extensive damage, destroyed infrastructure and razed buildings.
Last week, Cairo also pledged to provide 500 million US dollars for the reconstruction of the Palestinian enclave, which has been blocked by Israel for more than 13 years.