Home WORLD US judge rejects Bayer’s $2B deal to resolve future Roundup lawsuit | Business & Economic News

US judge rejects Bayer’s $2B deal to resolve future Roundup lawsuit | Business & Economic News

0

[ad_1]

The judge called the proposal “unreasonable,” and said that the service provided services to Monsanto, which Bayer acquired in 2018, while reducing the number of Roundup users.

A U.S. judge rejected Bayer’s $2 billion class action proposal to settle future lawsuits alleging that its Roundup herbicide causes cancer. He said in Wednesday’s order that certain parts of the plan were “obviously unreasonable.” .

U.S. District Court Judge Vince Chhabria of San Francisco stated that the proposal “will bring a lot of achievements to Monsanto”. Bayer acquired the proposal for $63 billion in 2018. For the current healthy Roundup users, achievements will be greatly reduced.

The agreement will suspend the lawsuit linking Roundup to non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL) for four years, and will prohibit Roundup users from seeking punitive damages after the suspension period expires.

In return, if a user is diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, they are eligible for free medical examinations and compensation.

The proposed class action settlement is aimed at people who have been exposed to herbicides and who will get sick in the future.

In addition, Bayer also promised to provide up to 9.6 billion U.S. dollars to settle claims for existing diseases caused by glyphosate (Roundup’s main active ingredient). The company’s chief executive told analysts this month that 90,000 existing claims have been resolved and 30,000 are still under negotiation.

The company said that decades of research have shown that Roundup and glyphosate are safe for human use. Bayer did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the judge’s decision.

‘Do not close’

Consumer advocates criticized Bayer’s efforts to add warning labels to Roundup or to withdraw it from the herbicide market, which, along with other glyphosate products, dominate the market.

Chhabria’s suggestion that the warning label may provide a way to prevent future litigation is based on Bayer’s failure to warn consumers of Roundup’s cancer-related theory.

Bayer refers to the class action settlement proposal as one of the “cornerstones” of “providing closed” litigation.

Leslie Brueckner, a lawyer at the Public Justice Department who opposed the proposal, said the ruling is important to public health and said the risk of huge punitive damages may force Bayer to make changes.

She said that Chhabria’s ruling means that the company will face ongoing litigation.

Bruckner said: “As long as Roundup products continue to be sold on the market, Bayer will continue to be sued by victims of Roundup products that have obtained the National Sanitation Act.” “This means there is no closure.”

This four-year plan will potentially classify millions of residential users and farm workers and provide them with physical examinations, and if they are diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, they can receive up to 200,000 US dollars.

Given the 10- to 15-year lag time between exposure and potential cancer symptoms, Chhabria’s six-page order cast doubt on the value of the medical examination offer.

He also stated that most claimants may receive compensation in the amount of US$60,000 or less and may not receive compensation after the plan expires.

The lawyers of the class said at the hearing last week that Bayer could extend the agreement and provide additional compensation.

The judge also questioned how, if Roundup’s health users develop NHL, how can they be fully notified of the settlement agreement that will be bound in the future.

Jabriya said: “Just making adjustments will not save the agreement.”



[ad_2]

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here