Home BUSINESS Wimbledon slashes prize money for singles champions

Wimbledon slashes prize money for singles champions

0

[ad_1]

As tennis continues to struggle to deal with the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, Wimbledon has drastically slashed the prize money for this year’s men’s and women’s singles championships.

The 153-year-old All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club hosted the Wimbledon Championship. It said on Wednesday that it had cut its total prize money to 35 million pounds, a 5.2% drop since the last tournament held in 2019.

Singles players will compete for the first prize of 1.7 million pounds, 28% lower than two years ago, when Serbia’s world number one Novak Djokovic and Romania’s world number three Simona Halep were winner.

AELTC stated: “As in previous years, especially in this challenging year for tour players, the focus of distribution has been to support players in the first few rounds of the tournament.

The decision to make the biggest cuts to singles players entering the advanced stages of the Grassland Championships also highlights the dilemma faced by lower-ranked players, who receive only a small portion of the prize money owned by the top players, and these players also benefit from it. Sponsorship income.

The decline in Wimbledon’s prize money shows how the pandemic continues to disrupt the world’s largest sporting event, putting pressure on event organizers, teams and players. The government usually only allows mass gatherings to resume gradually because health services continue to provide vaccines to the general population. Listed.

According to AELTC data, the singles qualifying stage, the first to fourth rounds and the quarter-finals of the prize money are increasing. However, the semi-finalist’s share of prize money will fall by more than one-fifth to £930,000, and the runner-up has experienced a similar decline.

Although AELTC is increasing the prize money for participants in wheelchair singles and wheelchair doubles competitions, players participating in doubles and mixed doubles competitions face a significant decline.

AELTC stated that audience capacity is one of the factors it considers when setting bonus levels, even though it has also spent “millions of pounds” on player accommodations this year.

However, the fans will return to this year’s championship game. British Secretary of Culture Oliver Dowden (Oliver Dowden) said that the men’s and women’s finals on the 15,000-seat centre court will be fully open to fans. The game will start on June 28th and will start at 50% capacity and will increase as the progress progresses.

Tickets will go on sale this Thursday. Fans must show evidence that the lateral flow test is negative or prove that they have received two doses of the vaccine.

Prior to its cancellation last year, the Wimbledon Tennis Championship, which was first held in 1877, was cancelled due to only two world wars. Although the cancellation of the championship is a major blow, AELTC is insulated because it has infectious disease insurance.

The game, which was screened by the British BBC and the American ESPN, generated considerable broadcast and ticketing revenue. AELTC’s total revenue in 2019 was 295.7 million pounds, but it plummeted to 4.9 million pounds last year.

[ad_2]

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here